Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sand Sculpture: Elephant at Green Key

Tuesday at Green Key Beach

One of the number one things I wanted to do on my Florida vacation was to create a piece of Sand Art. I found myself at Green Key Beach and couldn't pass up how perfect it was. The weathers great, there's so many wonderful little crabs EVERYWHERE, and a lot of sand. It was also kind of quiet so there wouldn't be a lot of distraction or crowding. So Alisa (My sister) and I went to work. This is my first sand sculpture.


Step 1

Spread water all over the sand you plan to use. Dig it up and pile it up. We used a dollar tree sand bucket. I do NOT recommend this. It took forever. Bring a shovel. Seriously.


Pat it into a mound, compression seems to be the key! Make sure you have wet sand! (you see that pool of water by the base of our mound? Don't do that.. seriously. you don't want your sand to be mud at the 
bottom.) 

Step 2

Build your mound into a slightly bigger shape then you're actual sculpture is going to be. You want to create your sculpture by subtraction, not addition.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Step 3

Details can be created with anything really. We used a spork and a knife from Taco Bell. :) They were very effective. We will do a lot more detail on future versions, but I'm very very pleased with the results. Especially on our first try!


There were a lot of smiles by the passerby's. It's really awesome to see how happy art can make a person :)








No comments:

Post a Comment