Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Two days to Art-i-licious

Hello All,

Artilicious is the local art festival (Terrible name, I know) and while my sister and I were unable to procure booths in time (LCVA is rarely open when it's supposed to be), we will be just browsing and having our Husky's serve as a mobile booth. Honestly, that sounds like more fun to me anyways. ;)

Gandalf is being dressed by Alisa to look somewhat peasant-y with a little American Indian thrown in there for flair. Mischief is my project and he is a dark mage/warrior. He looks sweet (for being my first costume EVER) but he has a lot of work to do.

Dog costuming requires a lot more durability, I think it would be a lot easier to do a human costume. Which I will be doing for Novembers WindyCon!

I've learned to install eyelets but they're still giving me a lot of trouble. The bulk o his costume is made of a really thin material that tears easily, and the eyelets last for a little while, but eventually tear when he shakes (Which he does a lot, and that can demolish the costume) or gets particularly excited. I'm thinking I should have put an extra square of fabric underneath the main fabric to secure it. I'm going to have to read a lot more on costuming before attempting eyelets in my own costume. (Design ideas coming soon!)

I've also had to make this costume accessible in case he needs to relieve himself and just for breath-ability. I left the bottom of his tunic open so essentialy it is wrapped around his back and held tight by a belt that I've shortened to better fit him. So far the eyelets in this (used for lacing it together at the chest)have stayed in tact. I think this is my most durable piece. It also has a lining of red around the neck that I spent almost 40 minutes blind stitching as my sewing machine is Out of Commission just in time for this costume ;) And of course, his hair completely hides it. You live and you learn. Something good to know if you're going to costume your long haired dog. I would like to add a red lining to the back of his costume as well, not quite the same but maybe red cris-crosses? I'm gonna have to look into some decorative stitches. I'll probably use red yarn, which is what I used for all the lacing. I have some ribbon as well, we'll just see what I find in my online browsing.



The major problems I have run into are with the leggings. It's hard to make them actual stay up. He moved around a lot, and I don't want to have to pull them to tight. I've tried pulling them tighter with the lacings, and puttings snaps on that I snap after I slide them up, and I've tried taking and extra bit of fabric at the center and lacing it there. This gives it the puffy look I was hoping for so will remain, but is not good enough to secure it in place. I have decided to try placing a strap that goes from one legging up over his back (under the tunic) to the other legging, so they will be pulling against each other and hopefully remain fairly stationary!



Finally the headpiece. I don't have a lot to say on this unfortunately. It took a lot of tweaking and it was the first thing I did. I basically laid it on his head and guessed where I wanted things to be. Then made adjustments while it was on him. I wish I could tell you more but I honestly don't remember the earlier shape. I believe it was a large square with one rounded side, and two rectangles projecting from either cheek. (That's the part you would tie beneath his jaw. It's all one piece of fabric folded and stitched to make it's shape. I'm sure there's probably an easier method with multiple pieces of fabric, but this is how I ended up doing it. It was probably the easiest piece.



I added studs for looks, and did decorative stitching to hold it in place. It needs a little tightening since when he shakes it slides back off his head, but other than that it works great. I am considering adding antlers to it. I have real ones but I think I'd just use a paper maché.

I hope this has helped, or at least entertained!

I will be posting more tomorrow or the next day. You'll definitely see a post to let you know how this weekend went!

Happy Trails ;)

Desi

No comments:

Post a Comment